This facility is registered as basic nuclear installation (INB) No. 149 and can manage 1 000 000 m3 of waste packages which are emplaced in vaults. It covers an area of 95 hectares.
Commissioned in 1992 as a CEA facility, the CSFMA has been officially operated by Andra since a March 24 1995 decree.
Evolution of the regulatory context, particularly with the 1992 Water Act enforcement (which bill was voted after the CSFMA commissioning) led Andra to file to public authorities a license application for liquid and gaseous effluents release and to draw off water. To be consistent, this application included a request to modify the licensing decree of the facility.
The corresponding two public enquiries took place simultaneously between November 28 2004 and January 8 2005. The August 10 2006 decree No. 2006-1006 modifying the September 4 1989 decree was published in the Official Journal on August 11 2006. The August 21 2006 order published in the Official Journal on September 19 2006 authorises and regulates release of liquid and gas effluents and drawing off water at the CSFMA.
Modified September 4 1989 decree authorising the CEA (Andra) to create a radioactive waste disposal facility within the Soulaines-Dhuys and La Ville-aux-Bois (Aube district) municipalities
March 24 1995 decree authorizing Andra to operate the Aube district CSFMA disposal facility
August 10 2006 decree No. 2006-1006 modifying the September 4 1989 decree authorising the Atomic Energy Commission (National radioactive waste management Agency) to create a radioactive waste disposal facility within the Soulaines-Dhuys and La Ville-aux-Bois municipalities (Aube district).
August 21 2006 order authorising National radioactive waste management Agency (ANDRA) to release liquid and gas effluents and to draw off water for the Aube district CSFMA disposal facility (basic nuclear facility No. 149)