Waste from maintenance and dismantling of nuclear facilities
Surface disposal of very-low-level radioactive waste.
The maintenance of nuclear facilities and their dismantling, once their operating life is over, generate radioactive waste of various kinds:
- In activity level, for instance between waste originating from containment envelopes and waste resulting from the reactor core itself;
- In bulk and weight, for instance, between concrete rubble and huge metal components, such as reactor vessels;
- In gross waste volume, for instance between concrete waste from containment envelopes and waste resulting from filtration systems.
Depending on their physical and radiological characteristics, maintenance and operational waste will be directed towards different waste management processes.
However trade-offs must be analysed before any decision on the process is taken (for instance between direct disposal of the waste or prior processing).
- Quantitative and radiological inventories to be identified;
- Inventory work at every deconstruction step:
electromechanical dismantling, cleanup of concretes, followed by dismantling and demolition, and specific treatment proposal;
- Technical and economic analyses;
- Waste-treatment specifications in partnership with waste producers;
- Packaging specifications in partnership with waste producers;
- Waste-acceptance criteria, wastecompliance control specifications;
- Development of adapted disposal facilities fulfilling regulatory requirements;
- Construction, operation and final closure of disposal facilities;
- Prospective economic studies;
- Consistency studies between forecast inventory and existing disposal solutions.
Andra Disposal Solutions
Andra is responsible for managing all radioactive waste produced in France.
The Agency has already worked on a large number of dismantling issues, such as:
- The identification of a quantitative and radiological inventory of very-low-level dismantling waste, followed by the design and operation of adapted disposal facilities for very-low-level waste (CSTFA) and for low-and intermediate-level waste (CSFMA) in the Aube district;
- The analysis of an adapted system for PWR vessel heads, followed by the acceptance of that type of waste at the CSFMA.
- The analysis of the adequate waste management system for:
- PWR steam generators;
- PWR vessels.
For further information or contact:
+ 33 1 46 11 82 99
Download PDF (378 KB)
Deconstruction worksites of decommissionned nuclear facilities.
Rubble produced when dismantling a nuclear facility
Disposal cell for waste packages at the CSTFA.
Internal view of a disposal cell at CSTFA